Stamford’s in the Sealed Knot

Brigadier Peter Young DSO, MC, FH

The Earl of Stamford’s Regiment of Foote is part of the Western Association of the Army of Parliament.  This Association also includes Col. Thomas Ballard’s Regiment of Foote, Sgt Major General James Carr’s Regiment of Foote, Col. John Dalbier’s Bye Trayne of Artillerie, Lord John Robarte’s Regiment of Foote and Col. James Wardlaw’s Regiment of Dragoones.

The year 1970 marks the year of the second founding of the regiment.  It was at the behest of Brigadier Peter Young, founder of the Sealed Knot.  The ‘Brig’ as he was affectionately known regarded Stamford’s as his Parliamentarian regiment and there may have been a connection between Peter Young and the Earls of Stamford.

The first CO was Peter Monk, an actor and in fact most of the early members were actors or students.  When Peter decided to move on, Len Jones took over.  In about 1975 Ken Bradley became CO.  Under him the regiment grew from strength to strength, introducing a musket company and organising their first major muster at Ipswich in 1977.

Since these early days the regiment has been led by Trevor Willetts, Peter Walker, Ian Cooper, Simon Hinkley, Alan Jones and Dave Robson.  In 2011 Neville Tandy became Stamford’s 10th Commanding Officer.

Sudley Castle - 1977

Stamford’s first uniform consisted of a white shirt with dyed blue sleeves, cut off policemen’s’ trousers with blue slashes sewn into them, PVC buff-coats, white nylon socks, black shoes with blue rosettes and orange sashes.  All topped off by a fibreglass lobster pot helmet!

In the mid 70s the regiment decided to change to woollen blue coat and maroon (for pike) or brown (for musket) breeches.  Metal helmets were also introduced, made by the regiment’s own expert metal worker Colin Brookes.

In the late 80s Stamford’s decided to further diversify into artillery.  A cannon was purchased and named ‘Lady Jane’, after Lady Jane Grey who was related to the Earls of Stamford.

Being part of the Western Association enables Stamford’s to fight alongside a much larger group.  These Associations look spectacular and give a feel of what a real Civil War battle would have looked like, particulary when the Association fight post 1644 in the ‘New Model Army’ redcoats.

With research over the years the quest for authenticity has grown.  Today’s uniform is a blue 4-tabbed doublet (or a red ‘New Model Army’ coat for post 1644 battles), maroon breeches, white or cream linen shirt, woollen stockings and 17th century style footwear.  Pikemen wear morion helmets, musketeers and the artillery a variety of felt, wool or cloth hats.

Basing House - 2010

In 2010 the Regiment celebrated its 40th anniversary.  The Earl of Stamford’s Regiment of Foote are proud to be the oldest Parliamentry regiment in the Sealed Knot and look forward to continuing re-enactment for many more years.
 

A MA PUISSANCE

 

Leave a Reply